Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 105, 106, and 107: I'm going to get a little personal here, only because this project has become such a big part of my life and therefore intersects with other parts of my life and influences them. There are some things I know about myself that I find frustrating, like my desire to be in a relationship but my inability to stick with it.  So, alas, I find myself single again, on the solo path.  I see people who are married or who have been with the same person for a mind blowing amount of time and are still loving and enjoying each other.  I wonder, what do they have that I don't,  is it some sort of internal ability to be able to stay with someone and be happy with that choice, or is it a matter of meeting the right person?  I think that it is both, but which of the two is more the reason for me, I don't know.  I do know that I have a hard time being alone, and as soon as one relationship ends, it's not long before I'm at it again.  It doesn't take much, just someone who acts like I'm something special and makes me laugh a few times, and I'm diving in, but it doesn't seem to last for me.  It's not that things get dramatic or we start fighting or anything, it's just that the desire fades away.  So I had the thought (this is where the project comes in), that it could be interesting, challenging, and beneficial for me to stay single through the rest of the duration of this project.  This seems like a big feat for me, almost harder than creating every day!  I think I could gain some insight on myself and my patterns in relationship if I just step out of it for a while.  So, that's my new goal.  Doing a 365 project can really be supportive for this kind of thing, cause I've already found that no matter what I'm going through in life, I find purpose, comfort, and distraction in the creative process.  I put an exta over the top amount of time in this particular project, cause I was needing something to channel all the emotion and mixed up thoughts into, and through the course of being so engaged for three days, I came up with this new plan of action.  It may be hard to believe, but the tiny little amount of foilage on top of this tree is made out of 508 circles cut from all kinds of boxes: cereal, crackers, ice cream cones, mac and cheese, etc.  I used what I made on day 2 and expanded on it.  I spent about 15 hours making this tree.  I had thought with that amount of time and that many circles, that it would be bigger on top.  I guess I have another project that I'll add to over time, which is good news really, cause it's amazing how fast I accumulate boxes.


Day 108: I took a little box from a tiffin I bought at the store where I work, and cut a few inches off the top and then decorated it.  This was both a fun and simple project.  I like how when you make something with pieces of paper that have words on it, you can read it, but not have a clue what it's about. Also the black squares have partial images on them, some of them indistinguishable.  I like that, I find the mystery intriguing.

3 comments:

  1. Good to know that you are contributing your bit for a greener and cleaner Environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tree. Did you cut out each circle by hand with scissors? Yikes! Box looks great too. Good Luck with the solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A person could drive themselves crazy trying to be "green" so I mostly focus on having fun with it, I don't know if it makes a difference in the bigger scheme of things. All I know is I have to live the life I believe in, whether things end up changing or not. Mostly, I have a fascination with finding value in what most people would discard, and am disgusted with the idea of constant consumption. And,yes I cut each circle by hand! Sometimes the slow process of creating something can help with that solitude thing, I think.

    ReplyDelete